Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sky-Watcher 1st light

Well I caught first light last night (Aug 8th, 2009). Set up went okay however I have a few modifications that I need to work on. I'm finding the alignment is a little difficult with this scope as I'm used to my Meade ETX. However once it is set up everything seems to work very well. Started off looking at the moon. Much more detail with the larger aperture scope (10" vs approx 4"). Played with the new lenses that came with the Sky-Watcher scope, but reverted back to my Celestron zoom lens as it appears to work very well with this scope. The moon filter works great to allow you to see without going blind from the bright glow from the moon. Moved over to Jupiter and was able to see the bands very clearly with 4 moons. Then just for the heck of it I pointed the scope to M13. Verryyy impressive (see photo). The photo doesn't do justice. It was like looking a a million points of light especially when zoomed into 9mm! Going to work on getting the finder scope aligned as it seems to be quite a ways off. Also going to add some quick release bolts to the tube clamps, I installed "Wilcox rings" yesterday. (will add photos when done).
So far very impressed!

Sky-Watcher 254N with EQ5 pro
Meade DSI-IIc camera


M13 Hercules Cluster Sky-Watcher 10" reflector with Meade DSI-IIc camera 5-15 sec images

No comments:

Post a Comment