Thursday, April 15, 2010

M104 Sombrero Galaxy

Last night I got to try out my new Orion Starshoot autoguider. I had been attempting to use a Meade LPI for guiding and it just wasn't working out. Keep in mind I didn't have the best conditions last night. Clouds were passing and there was considerable humidity in the air. However I was able to capture great 1 minute images. Out of 20 taken I used 18. (lost tracking twice because of clouds.) What I really like is how "round" the stars in the background area. I hadn't really been able to do that with anything longer than 30 seconds. Here's the final image. (captured with Nebulosity, processed with Photoshop elements.) Skywatcher 254N newtonian, EQ5pro mount, Vixen 70mm guide scope, Starshoot guider and Meade DSI IIc imager.

from Wikipedia:
The Sombrero Galaxy (also known as M 104 or NGC 4594 ) is an unbarred spiral galaxy in the constellation Virgo. It has a bright nucleus, an unusually large central bulge, and a prominent dust lane in its inclined disk. The dark dust lane and the bulge give this galaxy the appearance of a sombrero. The galaxy has an apparent magnitude of +9.0, making it easily visible with amateur telescopes. The large bulge, the central supermassive black hole, and the dust lane all attract the attention of professional astronomers.

No comments:

Post a Comment