Thursday, May 27, 2010

New Project

Well,
I started my new 'project'. Planning on creating a permanent pier out of concrete. Then placing a decking around that. Once that portion is finishing, I'm going to make a "dog house" to enclose everything. So far the hole is dug. (only going to do this in little bits and pieces.)


I added the concrete to the hole and base. Also placed a 5 foot long piece of galvanized pipe in the middle and 4 pieces of re-bar. Will get an 8 inch diameter "Sonotube" for the upper portion of the pier, along with a top plate and pour that when funds become available.


Friday I built the forms for the "sonotube" to pour the upper portion of the pier. Got everything level and created a template to place the "j-bolts" to attach the top plate for the mount. Filled the tube with concrete and leveled the template with the "j-bolts" in place.


The concrete has set. I completed the drilling of the holes in the 1/2 thick aluminum plate I'm using for the top plate. I installed the mount and checked clearances for the weights. So far everything is moving right along. Next I have to do a polar alignment with the polar scope and then drill the hole in the top plate for a centering post for the az adjustment screws. I'm planning on doing that tonight (Sunday June 6th.)





I completed the flooring around the pier yesterday (6-20-10) (using "free" materials donated by friends of the observatory) Next step is to add the 4x4s that the "dog house" will roll on. (see casters in photo below) The casters are 330 pound weight rated so I know I won't max them out. Keep in mind this mount and scope are only used for imaging so the "floor" doesn't need to be very large. In fact it only has to accommodate the dog house.


6-30-10
Here's a shot of the "dog house" framed and the front door hung. This is with the house opened as though it was in use. Still have work to do but it is coming along.


Here's a different angle with the "dog house" in the closed position.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice work Gordon. As you know I'm working on a pier myself and will build either a sliding roof OB or a dog-house similar to yours next year. Keep us posted, David in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete